Sunday, June 20

My Dad



Growing up, he was the "fun" parent.  He'd warn us if Mom was crabby by whispering "go outside, she's not happy".  Of course, as a child, I didn't consider that he may have sparked the bad mood.  I was just pleased to receive warning.  He took us fishing, he taught us to water ski, and allowed us to drive the boat when we were of legal age to do so.  When we were driving age, my brother and I often used hitting a deer as our excuse for missing curfew.  He'd walk around the car, looking for damage, and when there was no evidence of damage, he'd chuckle and walk away.  One day, my brother did, in fact, hit a deer.  He ran in the house and said "Dad!  Look!  There's a dent in the car and grass in the tires!"  My dad still loves to tell the story of Joe's expression.  He still chuckles about it and says "you thought you had us snowed."  Thank you Dad.


When I was 17, I gave birth to my first child.  I was on bed rest, due to high blood pressure, for the last two months of pregnancy.  He didn't shun, or shame me, he'd just periodically check in on me, asking if I was feeling alright.  Then we'd sit in silence, which I appreciated, and I knew that was his way of supporting me through this.  When I went into labor, he stayed in the room.  He stood behind the curtain, and would randomly pull back the curtain and ask if I was OK.  Keep in mind, this is the guy who was, while my mom was in labor with me, selling meat raffle tickets and smoking cigarettes in the hospital hall way.  I think he's come a long way.... My son was placed for adoption.  It was my choice, a choice I'm quite proud of.  But I know it wasn't easy for Dad.  His first grandchild wasn't going to be in his life.  The first couple of years were tough for all of us, we'd meet in neutral locations for birthdays and holidays.  Then Dad shocked me.  He invited them to our home.  They accepted.  He opened the door for what has become the most incredible "open adoption".  That sparked 17 years of total trust in one another.  They visit our home, we visit theirs, we attend his sports events.  Thank you Dad.



If Dad had it his way, I'd be working a 9-5, at a clinic some place.  The kids would be involved in every sports activity available, and my brother would definitely NOT be living in LA, in a band, and unemployed.  But Dad has learned to allow us to choose our own paths.  Thank you Dad.

Thank you for taking your grandchildren on bobber walks and making sure there are bobbers to be discovered.  Thank you for mowing the lawn, helping with house maintenance, and dropping by for lunch, when Karl is away for long periods of time.

I love you.



Memories~

When  on a family trip, which didn't happen often, as my Mom would open the car door, he'd pull the car away.  Always chuckling as we drove away. (my Mom is a saint)

While in Target one day, my Mom backed into a display and it all came tumbling down, loudly.  Dad, being the sensitive guy he is, helped her pick it up.  WRONG.  Dad yells very loudly, while pointing at my Mom, "she did it!  She mad the mess!  It was this woman right here !"  (again, my Mom is a saint)

Dad has always been intrigued with infomercial gadgets.  For Christmas, at the age of 14 I received and electric pencil sharpener and scissors that could cut a penny.  Oh, and the Beach Boys Pet Sounds album. (no complaints there)

When 16, as a kind gesture, he took me to the make-up counter at Daytons so they could show me how to apply make-up properly.  At 16, I was offended and pissed. You don't like the way I look!  Well, looking back at photos, I understand this was necessary.  I'm sorry Dad.


Dad once paid a midget wrestler to harass my Mom.  She laughed until she cried.  Check out his expression.



And now for the dad quotes I hold near and dear....

"Yeah, I want a chocolate cake for my birthday, but don't let your kids put them god damn sprinkles on my half.  That wrecks a perfectly good cake."

"If God would had intended for women to breastfeed, he wouldn't have invented Similac."  (he'd repeat this when uncomfortable about my nursing, and refusing covering up.)

(At Easter dinner with much family present)  "How did she lose weight?  She barfs after she eats.  So keep an eye on her."

"You think you're so cool reading all the time, but I've got you fooled.  I can watch the movie in an hour and a half.  It takes you hours to read that F%@# book."  (enter smirk)

"Murdock (his chosen name for Al) could be a model, you know."  (after seeing a picture of her when she was five.  That picture still hangs on the refrigerator in his home)

"Mary will make a good wife someday.  She doesn't talk much."

"Karl, you don't want your son calling it a penis. It's a crank or pecker."

"If you want another child just ask Rick and Marcie if you can have Mike.  I'm sure they'd be fine with it."

"You have nice kids.  Loud, but nice"


"You have to come over every Sunday for lunch.  It's a tradition, your kids like it." (I think he might like it, too)

"Get in the car, we're going to Wally World!"

"The BLESSING!"

Happy father's Day, Dad.  I love you.

No comments: